Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Motown Blues

I'm sitting at the McNamara terminal in Detroit, waiting for my flying buddy to show up at the gate. Good thing I got here 4.5 hours early, being that I flew through check-in and now have to sit here waiting...and waiting...and waiting.
Abe's Famous Chili Burger
For having had a 12 hour or so layover in Detroit, I had a lot of fun. My friend Loren, from Peace Corps, lives in town and picked me up at the ungodly hour of 12:20 and we went to a bar to play shuffle puck, a game in which I have NO skill, not even after a Miller High Life or two. After a couple beers and playing shuffle puck with some folks whom I am convinced are puck hustlers, we departed for Abe's down the street, an epitome of a dive cafe and a memory I will cherish forever. Being that this was to be my last real meal in the U.S. for another year or so, I decided to go for broke and get the 1/2 pound chili burger with fries, the effects of which I am feeling this morning. I don't feel I am digesting the burger as much as wearing it, but the calories should last me until Seoul.
It was great catching up with her in her environment and loved the character and attitude of the establishments we went to last night.
It's hard to imagine what's in store for me on the other side of the Atlantic. I went to the Philippines knowing next to nothing about the country, the culture, the foods, etc. Not only had I found a home there, but I found family and friends that I still miss every day. It's hard to imagine not finding those kinds of connections in what will be my new home for 12 months. I guess it's the element of the unknown that is most exhilarating, not an if, but a when.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I was lucky enough to manage the last 12 hours of your time in the U.S. After a long nap, I finally slept off the High Life and Abe's and think that I'll make it through the rest of the day, and so will you. Happy flights, landings, and adventures, my friend.

    ReplyDelete