Monday, January 17, 2011

How I learned to stop worrying and love the eReader

3rd Generation Kindle

As most of you know either by being a friend, relative or acquaintance of mine or by the amount of geeky tech posts that appear on my blog, I do not eschew technology and am oftentimes an early-adopter of anything I can afford. However, the eReader represented a hurdle over which I was not yet committed to jump. I graduated with a double major in English lit and history and have a rich appreciation for books. I do not quite border on bibliophilia (Colin!) but I love the weight, smell and intimacy of a book. Having backpacked a number of times, there is a bond of companionship which grows between the dead weight and the reader. I have unpacked clothes and other items to get the weight of luggage down to cart around books here and there and I have never regretted it.

Needless to say I was leery of electronic formatted books for a number of reasons. The biggest speculation of mine concerned battery life, "the day my book tells me it's dead and I can't read it when I wish is the day I give up on life," I recall telling a friend. Secondly, I benefited enormously from the book exchange that took place while I was in the Peace Corps, which made books more valuable than, say cheese or peanut butter. Books are, while travelling, a currency in and of themselves. So the obvious issue of transferability presentes itself immediately to a) those who don't have an eReader and b) the books which have encryption so they are not transferrable anyway.

There were some obvious benefits that finally made up my mind to try out the Amazon Kindle, third generation. Living in Korea with, for lack of a better description, a 

lack

 of English books made the idea of having a library of thousands of titles from which to choose very appealing. I knew my parents and brother would appreciate it, not having to ship me books upon request. Moreover, having any of those titles within 60 seconds of purchase made planning out what I would read months in advance a thing of the past.

I looked into the Amazon Kindle simply because a friend of mine here in Korea has one and I got a hands-on as well as it being the only reader that enables purchasing books abroad. The Kindle I bought has both 3G and wifi. The 3G works in over 100 countries, including South Korea and I suppose North Korea if you stand close enough to the DMZ. Regardless, the Kindle is the obvious choice for the international traveler.

The battery life has bowled me over. Advertised as having a battery life of one month, I felt reassured that it wouldn't die on me at any given moment. On the contrary, I read the unabridged entirety of

The Count of Monte Cristo

, a 1,300 page tome, on one battery charge. Good enough for me.

And finally, as for the portability of the book files themselves, there is a simple hack. Within the limits of the DMCA, one can run a python script to unlock their legally purchased books. This does not solve the issue of passing on books to someone who does not have an eReader, but it makes the prospect (which I do not condone for legal reasons) of sharing a book with a friend with an eReader much easier. There is

Kindle software

that can open the unlocked books on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPod, Android, Blackberry, et. all and allow someone to read the book on any of the supported devices, for those without an eReader.

For the easy-to-follow step-by-step guide to unlocking the book files, please see below.

Unlocking Kindle Books

If you wish to exercise your rights within the DMCA and unlock the DRM copy protection of your Kindle books to read on other devices, please refer to this very helpful website. It is difficult to amass the software required for the project so I have collected the publicly available software into one convenient package at this link. It is important to follow the steps mentioned in the above-linked article, however they do fail to mention that you need the beta version of the Kindle software for PC. Once installed, it is imperative that you open the application, go to the settings and turn off automatic updates as more recent versions of this software break the unlocking script. If you choose to download the software from my link, you can ignore the site's directions on finding and installing everything.

Update: There is a great Google Chrome utility that sends an article from your browser to your kindle in one click, reformatted to compliment the screen of the kindle. I just installed it and it's pretty slick!

6 comments:

  1. Now if only they could figure out a way to allow people to show proof of already owning a book to have that one down loadable to your Kindle! I can't fathom how much it would cost me to re-buy my current paperback library (and that's just the paperbacks, hardcovers stay as objects of art and for the comfort of having a page to turn), and space saving is one of the most attractive things (to me) of the Kindle.Also, reading in the bath is another hurdle the Kindle has to face. Is it waterproof? Because then I might be sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see people get so passionate about his topic, leaving comments longer than my original post!@Steve - Thanks for the heads up! I do use Calibre but didn't know about the plugins. Seems someone developed a little applescript as well that'll let me drop a book file onto it and it spits out a new unencrypted file. I'm working on finding a server in the states to run the php script...just a need a server.@Kitt - it'd be great if they were water proof! Unfortunately (or maybe not!) we are the generation that will have both a physical and digital collection of things and need to negotiate them.@Brian - The nook is a great device and I sold a few while I worked at B & N. I feel your pain though. I would love better PDF support. Try looking into Calibre?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent! I've been kicking the idea around of buying an eReader. You've made up my mind that Kindle is the way to go! :-) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. I absolutely love my kindle. I carry it with me everywhere. Also thanks for the heads up about the chrome extension. I've just installed it and can't wait to give it a go. If you get a chance, check out my website at www.seoulfood.org . Take care!

    ReplyDelete